Kevin and Anne  2011 Trips

Route Map to Kangaroo Island

21st March to 27th March 2011

Monday 21st March Sydney to Gundagai

Departed home after lunch heading for Gundagai.

Made a slight diversion 5 miles from Gundagai to visit The Dog on the Tucker Box.

 It rained most of the way.

Stayed the night in a cabin at the Gundagai Tourist park. It had a microwave so we could heat our dinner, but it had an external bathroom.

 Our Van with "external ensuite"

Tuesday 22nd March  Gundagai to Yarrawonga

We are now South o' the Border in Yarrawonga on the Murray River.

Left about 8:30am and headed along the Hume highway, diverted via WaggaWagga,

stopped at Uranquinty for morning tea, then back on the road, the Olympic Highway  to Albury where we stopped for lunch in the Botanic Gardens. 

We crossed the Murray and the border and drove to Yarrawonga.

 As we approached Yarrawonga we were surprised by the dramatic landscape of Lake Mulwala.

Our room for the next 2 nights is at The Central Motel in Yarrawonga. It is as it says, central and also quite comfortable.

Wednesday 23rd March   Yarrawonga

Breakfast was delivered at 7:30am, reminiscent of old when breakfast was always hand delivered to your room.

 Later in the morning we took a drive across the bridge to NSW.


This is an interesting bridge. On the NSW side where the river flows and  is very deep there is the steel girder superstructure, then the bridge curves, then dips before rising again to meet  Victorian ground.

We were told that the dip was the "because of poor coordination between the Victorian and NSW Governments, construction began at both ends independently and at different levels. A redesign was necessary to get both ends of the bridge to meet. The result of the redesign was our infamous "dip" A classic example of how we are over governed.

We took a drive along the lakeside in Mulwala before returning to Vic. 


Kevin was careful to obey this sign.

We were walking across the bridge when we saw this family of swans.

For lunch today we went on the Barbecue Lunch Cruise on  the Paradise Queen. 


   We ate a tasty lunch as we cruised through the dead red gum forest.

Thursday 24th March   Yarrawonga to Horsham

An early start, ready for a long driving day. Left Yarrawonga about 7:30am in the rain.

 It was also a little foggy in places.


At Shepparton we stopped for a stretch and found a field of painted cows.   

The next stop was for a late morning tea at Bendigo.

Lunch stop was at St Arnaud where were wandered along street admiring the country shops and went into IGA to buy yogurt and fruit.

The scenery changed quite a lot from the fruit bowl in the Murray and Goulburn valleys to the expansive flat paddocks further across the state.


We arrived in Horsham about 3pm and had a little difficulty finding our motel the Westlander Sundowner (another Wotif deal).

Just an overnight stay here another long driving day tomorrow to reach Goolwa in SA.

Friday 25th March Horsham to Goolwa

We left Horsham behind about 7:45am after finding the service station and filling up. It was cloudy and had rained during the night.

We travelled along the Western Highway across the border, stopping at Keith for morning tea.

Our Navman indicated that the shortest way to Goolwa was to turn off the Western Highway and head to the Princes Highway at Meningie, 

then on to Narrang where we would be able to drive across the water to Goolwa.

 We drove as far as Meningie , then decided that we wouldn't attempt the feat of driving across the water and turned north.

Lake Albert at Meningie

  At Wellington we did cross the Murray River on a car ferry.

Further along the road  we made a lunch stop at Langhorne Creek, then another stop at Strathalyn to have a stretch and a walk around the town

From there it was a short drive to Goolwa.

We walked around the wharf area of the town and went to the supermarket for breakfast supplies before we checked in at our hotel.

Saturday 26th March Goolwa

We spent the day exploring Goolwa and surrounding areas.

Went across the bridge to Hindmarsh Island. Drove around the new marina estate, then went to view the Murray Mouth.

We then drove back through Goolwa to the Goolwa Beach


Goolwa Beach

It was quite windy so we had morning tea in the car.

From there we drove along to the Goolwa Barrage where we walked out along the top and were fascinated by the pelicans swimming on the salt water side of the barrage.

At the Barrage

It was fascinating watching "Mr Percival" and friend catching fish.                                  

We drove back into Goolwa for lunch at the cafe on the wharf.

We decided to go to Port Eliot about a 10 minute drive away.

on the path along the cliffs.

Horseshoe Bay

the rescue helicopter at Port Eliot

Sunday 27th March Goolwa to Kangaroo island

This morning before we left Goolwa we drove to the wharf to see the Cockle Train, then we drove to Victor Harbour, stopping along the way to watch the train steam its way through the countryside.

The wharf area

Bird life at the wharf

The Cockle Train

From Victor Harbour we drove across the hills to Port Jervis to catch the ferry to Kangaroo Island

After we arrived at the dock at Penneshaw we made our way to our accommodation Blue Ray Lodge our home for the next 2 nights.

It is luxury - a beautiful house and beautiful surroundings

Click here for the next section of our trip